8.14.2006

to own a dragon

I’d like to recommend a tremendous book by a wonderful author—To Own a Dragon, written by Donald Miller.

I grew up without a father—a circumstance that, like all adversities, had both bad and good effects on my life.

I’ll spare you the whiny litany of bad effects and skip right to the great GOOD that came out of my fatherless childhood: God is my father. I know this like I know the sound of my own children’s voices. And it was the absence of an earthly dad that allowed me to fully embrace my heavenly Father’s perfect love, affection, discipline, and presence.

To Own a Dragon’s author, Donald Miller, was also fatherless. And Miller’s willingness to rip himself open and share the impact of that circumstance on his life makes for compelling and spiritually convicting reading.

The writing is poetic, honest, and moving. And, in places, laugh-out-loud funny. Miller’s conversation about fathers is not a bleak or hopeless rant. Rather, it shows how God longs to father us and how men of faith can fill in some of the blanks for those who lack the positive influence of a daddy.

Here is one of my favorite passages:
“There is something profoundly humbling about knowing God. I’m not talking about the trinket God or the genie-in-a-lamp God, I mean the God who invented the tree in my front yard, the beauty of my sweetheart, the taste of a blueberry, the violence of a river at flood. I think there are a lot of religious trends that would have us controlling God, telling us that if we do this and that and another, God will jump through our hoops like a monkey. But this other God, this real God, is awesome and strong, all-encompassing and passionate, and for reasons I will never understand, He wants to father us.”

This book is written from a male perspective, but it is of great value to all…male, female, fathers, mothers, the childless, single parents, and even those with loving, Godly dads in their lives. It is starkly honest and doesn’t always read like a sanitized, shiny Christian book (i.e., it can be surprisingly blunt and human in places). But if you appreciate honesty and real life in your faith reading, check it out.

And don’t forget to give thanks to God, our perfect Father.

Lisa

P.S. What are you reading right now?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mom,
It's me. Yeah, I'd just like to say thanks for everything you have done for me in the past couple years of my life. Without your support and even your nagging, I would not be the person I am right now. I am God blessed to have a mother that cares about my life and what I do with it. I thank God daily for putting you in my life. I love you so much, and keep on nagging!
Yo Son
P.S. what did Johnny Depp say to Paris Hilton?

8/15/2006 3:48 PM  
Blogger zephaniah3:17 said...

Awwwww...thanks for making my day, Eamon. *dabs at tears with a tissue*

And I give up. What DID Johnny Depp say to Paris Hilton?

8/15/2006 4:30 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Cute!! hey I commented on mine... how are ya?

8/15/2006 8:56 PM  
Blogger Kimmer said...

What an insightful post Lisa!
What I've been reading when I do have time lately is a book called Lady in Waiting, which was written toward single woman but as they completed the book, they found it actually ministerd to married women much the same. when I get a chance, I want to blog some summaries about it; very good stuff.

8/17/2006 12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home