3.22.2007

lenten journey, day 26 — a prayer for the fatherless

I spent the first 28 years of my life proclaiming variations on this theme: “Who needs a father, anyway?” And I meant it. At least until my son was born, and I saw for the first time in my life what a father actually brings to a family: fierce love, strong protection, selfless provision, and…well…exuberant play.

Sure, I could give boo-boo-all-better kisses and spoon mushy orange food into wide open mouths all day long. But the whole "sit-on-my- shoulders-while-we-pointlessly-chase-the-dog-around-the-house" thing was just not one of my gifts. Yet it was a gift my children desperately needed.

You know what else I couldn’t do? I couldn’t break up concrete with a sledgehammer, or lay on my back under a car for an hour while oil dripped on my face, or answer the door in the middle of the night with a gruff “What do you want?”

I wasn’t very good at turning a box into a pirate ship, or turning a boy into a man. I couldn’t demonstrate to my daughters what a true hero looks like so that they’d know one when they met one. And I sure couldn’t give them the fatherly love that would enable them to just skip right over the whole “Fatherless Daughter Game” that has one simple—but dangerous—rule: “Date lots of boys and get them to love you, because you’ve never actually had a male-type person love you before, and it sure makes you feel secure when they do.”

Yep, children need fathers. But the reality is that fathers are kind of scarce these days, and a fatherless home is an at-risk home. 85% of children with behavior disorders, 75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers, and 85% of all youths in prison come from fatherless homes. 63% of young people committing suicide are fatherless.

I think this is why God speaks so protectively of the fatherless in scripture; He knows that what they really need more than anything else is a daddy. And our gracious Father in Heaven says, in that loving and protective way a daddy says such things, “I’ll do it if you let me. I’ve got your back!”

If growing up without an earthly father was an incomplete way for me to grow up, it was also a way to learn more quickly and more wholly what it might take others a lifetime to discover: God is an awesome Father. And His love will never abandon, move on, find another family he likes better, or forget what my middle name is. I am truly blessed to call him Abba.

Father, thank you that you invite us to call you our Father. Thank you that you have demonstrated over and over again that your heart is for the fatherless and for the broken. Thank you that you have graciously given my own children an amazing earthly father. Please help more men to be the fathers their children deserve. Would you place a burning ember in the hearts of men who are strong, stable fathers to become involved as mentors and role models for young boys who have never known a father’s influence? And would you give each single mom a plentiful daily supply of “oil for her lamp” so that the flame of love and care for her children will never go out? God, you love us more passionately and completely than any earthly parent ever could. May I honor you, my Father, with everything I am. Yes, and amen.

”How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!…” — 1 John 3:1

”But you, O God, do see trouble and grief; you consider it to take it in hand. The victim commits himself to you; you are the helper of the fatherless.” — Psalm 10:14

5 Comments:

Blogger Kimmer said...

Lisa,
what an incredible post.
I definitely have a lump in my throat....
"what a father actually brings to a family: fierce love, strong protection, selfless provision, and…well…exuberant play....I couldn’t demonstrate to my daughters what a true hero looks like so that they’d know one when they met one...And His love will never abandon, move on, find another family he likes better, or forget what my middle name is. I am truly blessed to call him Abba."
wow.
thank you so much for this reminder that we are children of the Father...
Thank you Father for loving us so much~

3/22/2007 10:25 PM  
Blogger gail said...

I have heard so many songs
Listened to a thousand tongues
But there is One
That sounds above them all

The Father’s song
The Father’s love
You sung it over me and for eternity
It’s written on my heart

CHORUS:
Heaven’s perfect melody
The Creator’s symphony
You are singing over me
The Father’s song
Heaven’s perfect mystery
The King of love has sent for me
And now You’re singing over me
The Father’s song

I have heard so many songs
Listened to a thousand tongues
But there is One
That sounds above them all


The Father’s song
The Father’s love
You sung it over me and for eternity
It’s written on my heart

CHORUS

It’s Heaven’s perfect mystery
The King of love has sent for me
And now You’re singing over me
The Father’s song

The Father’s song
The Father’s love
You sung it over me and for eternity
It’s written on my heart


The Father’s song
The Father’s love
You sung it over me and for eternity
It’s written on my heart
It’s written on my heart
You sing it over me
Father

By Matt Redman

3/22/2007 10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! you are gifted teacher and communicator. Thank you for the wonderful sharing you do, and the prayer leadership...

Father, thank you for Fathers, Mothers and families. I so wish everyone could experience a family under your authority. I pray that this could one day be so. Amen.

3/23/2007 10:48 AM  
Blogger E-S said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12/01/2009 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SQ again I left the last comment and meant for it to be anonymous. Can you please just delete it. Thanks

12/01/2009 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home