2.19.2007

the fast God desires

This coming Wednesday is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent. Those of us who aren't members of church streams that observe the liturgical year may see Lent as unnecessary. I certainly did for many, many years.

Oh sure, I would say things like "I'm giving up chocolate for Lent," or "I'm not going to buy any expensive outfits for my baby daughter during Lent."

Like somehow an improvement in my diet or my financial bottom line would honor God. Like somehow my self-righteous denial of something as trivial as a chocolate chip cookie or a Gymboree baby ensemble would prepare my heart for Jesus's indescribable sacrifice.

Scripture is clear that such a flippant attitude towards fasting is NOT what God desires.

Consider Isaiah 58:6-7...

"This is the kind of fast day I'm after:
to break the chains of injustice,
get rid of exploitation in the workplace,
free the oppressed,
cancel debts.
What I'm interested in seeing you do is:
sharing your food with the hungry,
inviting the homeless poor into your homes,
putting clothes on the shivering ill-clad,
being available to your own families."


This year for Lent, I AM going to fast. But I'll be fasting on God's terms.

Beginning on Wednesday, and every day during Lent, I will be blogging on issues of justice, mercy, and compassion. The blog entries will be calls to prayer for specific places, people, injustices, afflictions, desperations, and world situations.

Please join me in a fast of prayer. Join me in minding the gap for those who have no voice. Join me in believing that when we pray, God works.

Visit my blog beginning on Wednesday and leave your prayers in the comments section. Let's let our petitions rise to God like sweet smelling incense!

"Then when you pray, God will answer.
You'll call out for help and I'll say, 'Here I am.'"

-Isaiah 58:9

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mum! I love you so much! You are no doubt the best Mum, like, ever!!! I really like your prayer fast idea, and I will be praying along with you every day. I also want you to know that you have been the greatest influence in my life and that I really see God working in you! :)

P.S. O Tarfsey! o_O

2/19/2007 10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa, what an inspired idea. Don't you think that this is how we are called to walk daily as Christians.

I'll walk with you during Lent.

Your antipodean friend!!!

2/19/2007 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home